The terminal shell path "dotnet" is a directory - Visual Studio Code
I have been using Visual Studio Code in Ubuntu Linux for a while, but it was not an easy process to get it working the first time.
I just got around to installing .NET Core 3.1 and hit a familiar problem -
The terminal shell path "dotnet" is a directory
This happens when I try to build inside VS Code using a build task, I point this out because building from a terminal inside VS Code works fine.
Here is the output -
If you google this you will find some suggested fixes but they didn’t work for me.
Here is what does work for me -
- Install the SDKs to a directory NOT named dotnet, my SDK’s are in
- Update your PATH to include this directory -
- Update your
DOTNET_ROOTto this –
That’s what works for me.
Whenever I need to install a new SDK I have do follow the manual steps outlined
here, making sure to unpack the SDK to
Hope this works for you, please leave a comment if it does or even if it doesn’t.
- C# and AWS Lambdas, Part 5 – Updating the Zip in S3 and Updating the Running Lambda, with Pulumi IaC
- C# and AWS Lambdas, Part 4 – Storing the Zip in S3, Setup with Pulumi IaC
- C# and AWS Lambdas, Part 3 – Pulumi IaC for Web API and an API Gateway
- C# and AWS Lambdas, Part 2 - Web API and an API Gateway
- C# and AWS Lambdas, Part 1 - Hello World